For this episode of the podcast I met with Denis Pennel, Managing Director of CIETT and EUROCIETT in his office to talk about his latest book "The Ego revolution at work". Published author, Denis is among the top HR Influencers, and the book is incredibly well balanced, and presents in a very structured manner the evolution of the employment relationships, and why it is time to think of a new system.
The polarisation and de-standardisation of the labour market is happening gradually but steadily, yet the social security systems are still organised and financed around the full-time, open ended employment relationship model.
What are some of the major shifts in the New World of Work?
- Labour markets are becoming increasingly complex and diverse
- The global working population has doubled in the past 30 years with India, China and former USSR countries joining the global labour market
- De-standardisation of the employment relationship - moving away from the norm of full time, open ended contracts
- Development of new forms of work (part-time, fixed-term, agency, temporary contracts)
- The transition between different forms is much more fluid and quicker (from employment to freelance, at the same time having a full-time job but launching a startup)
What will have to change in the future for sure, is to ensure that there is a safety net for all types of workers. The one size fits all system is no longer viable.